Monday, May 26, 2014

Barcelona, Day 2: Sipping Sangria in Figueres and Dali's Jewelry


After the museum visit, we needed some refreshments. We had the outdoor seats at the nearby restaurant. Nice weather, great paella, sipping Sangria, people watching, and observing the quaint little town and Dali's eccentric museum, it couldn't be more perfect. I was in Sangria heaven.


Let me tell you something about Sangria. It tastes like juice. It's very deceiving. You would not think this thing contains a lot of alcohol. Why would you? Therefore, you drink a lot. Besides, 2 small cups of Sangria cost as much as one big pitcher. In your simple mind, you think ordering pitcher is a better deal. So two of you try to finish a big pitcher of Sangria like it's nothing. 30 minutes later, it starts to hit you like a train. "Oops! I am drunk", you say to yourself.


After the meal, we checked out Dali's jewelry design. Jewels exhibition is in another building and included in the ticket of the museum visit. The jewelry is really whimsical. I love them. By then, I started to feel the impact of Sangria just a little bit. Browsing Dali's work while feeling tipsy was really something, a psychedelic experience I didn't plan for. I had never done that before.

By the time we came out of the jewelry museum, Sangria kicked in at full speed. I didn't feel so fly at that moment. We walked back to the bus stop. Then it was clear to me that there were fewer buses in the afternoon taking you back to the train station. Is this "you can come in but you can't get out" kind of thing? It gives "tourist trap" a new meaning, doesn't it? Or I was just being paranoid. Anyway, we walked back to the city center to take a taxi back to the train station. That was a close call as I almost passed out in Figueres. The rest was all blur to me. I don't remember how I crawled back to the hotel. Lesson learned. Never order family-sized Sangria again. Never!

Looking back, the day trip was so fun. Having a relaxing lunch in Figueres is one of my fondest memories. Figueres is lovely. Dali's works are out of the world. Going from Sangria heaven to groggy hell is priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment