Monday, September 1, 2014

Tokyo, Day 1: Lost in Train Station


Prelude: JJ traveled to Tokyo this past July without me to visit an old friend. I didn't try to change my schedule and tag along because I thought I should just let the boys have their male bonding. Yup! I am a very thoughtful person.

JJ is generous enough to let me blog about his trip and use a few of his photos. How else am I going to blog about Tokyo? Although it was a very short trip, only 5 days, it sure looks like a lot of fun from his pictures.

Day 1: Lost in Translation, shot in Tokyo, was actually one of my favorite movies. I love the humor, Bill Murray's character and all that. Back to the topic. JJ was lost in the train station. It doesn't have the coolness like the movie, does it? He got off the plane and tried to meet his friend/fixer because his friend arrived at Haneda Airport which is mainly for flights within Japan and JJ arrived at Narita International Airport. JJ rode the N'EX train, a limited express train service since 1991, back and forth 3 times to finally find the right direction. That was the time he truly missed me because I am usually a big help when it comes to navigating. 

JJ asked directions at one of those counters in the station. It turns out English is not quite useful in Tokyo. "If you do find English speaking staff, just keep it really simple when you ask questions. The more you say, the more you confuse them.", JJ concludes.

JJ thinks it is hard to figure out Tokyo high-speed lines but he does praise how clean the train station is. Tokyo Metro, which is even older, is pretty clean as well. They have been doing a good job maintaining it. 

After all the chaos, half day was already gone. JJ had a mellow evening, just drinking and chatting with his old friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment