Monday, October 26, 2015

Rome, Day 1: Ara Pacis

Central Rome is very walkable. We had already been to at least 4 sites by foot so far. Our last stop was Ara Pacis.


Ara Pacis, Altar of Peace, was commissioned by the Roman Senate on July 4, 13BC to honor the return of Augustus to Rome. On the walls of Ara Pacis, you can find senate members, bodyguards, priests, members of the Imperial household, a goddess with twins on her lap, nature elements, Roman civil ritual, and symbolic themes of peace.


I am not sure if there is an air filtration system in the museum to cut pollutants. I can't quite find any articles specifying that. But it does feel that the museum inside is dust free and the air is very clean.


Based on the tourists' reviews, the visitors complain €10,50 for just seeing an altar is kind of pricey. Although the price is on the high side, I am still glad I saw it. The presentation is nicely done. The altar is well preserved. It's a beautiful place and tranquil museum with natural light coming through the window and projecting light and shadow on the altar. I had a great time taking pictures and sitting on the bench to just look at the altar. It was quiet without crowdedness and I had a chance to think and reflect, that's my ideal museum visit. Looking back, I can say that these Italian cities draw way too many tourists than you can imagine. Anytime you get a calm moment to look at a monument or artwork without having to beat the crowd, it is truly precious and doesn't happen often. So, enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment